GREENVILLE, N.C. — The Little League® Softball World Series returns to Greenville next week, and organizers are making final preparations to make the tournament a success.
This year's tournament will feature an expanded field with 12 teams from across the United States and beyond competing August 9-15 at Stallings Stadium at Elm Street Park. Admission is free, and all games will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks, including ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, and ESPN+. This international and televised tournament is estimated to bring $1.1 million in economic impact to the Greenville-Pitt County community.
In an effort to ensure the safety of participants and spectators, the City of Greenville will be closing Elm Street between 14th Street and 10th Street, beginning August 9 until August 15. Detours will utilize Charles Boulevard. Motorists traveling north will be detoured from Greenville Boulevard to Charles Boulevard and 10th Street. Motorists heading south will be detoured from 10th Street to Charles Boulevard and Greenville Boulevard. Only permitted traffic will be allowed in the blocked section of Elm Street during the closure.
Transportation will be provided for participating players and coaches, while public parking for the event will be available in the College Hill Drive parking lot located near the corner of 10th Street and College Hill Drive. Members of the public will access Elm Street Park from the College Hill parking lot via the Green Mill Run Greenway.
Now playing in its second year at its new Greenville home, the LLSWS expansion will include two more teams from the United States and four international teams. Additionally, the North Carolina State Champion, which is the local Pitt County Girls Softball League, will compete as the host region.
Teams competing in the 2022 Little League Softball® World Series include:
- North Carolina Host Team: Pitt County Girls Softball League - North Carolina
- Southeast Region: Chesterfield Little League - Virginia
- Northwest Region: Issaquah Little League - Washington
- Southwest Region: Midway Little League - Texas
- West Region: La Verne Little League - California
- New England Region: Milford Little League - Connecticut
- Mid-Atlantic Region: Delmar Little League - Maryland
- Central Region: Daniel Boone Little League - Missouri
- Asia-Pacific Region: Negros Occidental Little League - Philippines
- Canada Region: St. Albert/YYC Softball Little Leagues - Canada
- Europe-Africa Region: Emilia Romagna Little League - Italy
- Latin America Region: Guayama Softball Little League - Puerto Rico
The public is invited to help welcome the Little League® Softball players, coaches, umpires, families, and friends to Greenville at the Opening Ceremony Celebration on Monday, August 8 from 6:00pm - 8:30pm at the Greenville Town Common. Come out and enjoy a live DJ, food trucks, photo booths, water activities, and more!